Seared Bison on Wild Greens/Field Relish
Alberta Bison Association: A Taste of Alberta 1997
Quantity Ingredients Yield: 4 Portions
- * 450 g 1 lb. Bison inside round
- 90 ml 3 oz. Dry Sherry
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Fresh rosemary
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Fresh garlic
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Fresh thyme
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Fresh oregano
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Crushed peppercorns
- 250 ml 1 cup Olive oil
- 4 cloves Fresh garlic
- 130 ml ½ cup Olive oil
- 130 ml ½ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- 150 ml 2/3 cup Pinto beans (pre-soak)
- 1 Tomato, med. diced
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- 20 ml 4 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 60 ml ¼ cup Onion, fine dice 15 ml 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Cracked pepper
- 5 ml 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 portions Wild greens
- Prepare marinade and add Bison. Refrigerate overnight (24 hours).
- Remove Bison from marinade and sear in a very hot pan.
- Place in oven at 300° F and roast to desired doneness.
- Chill before slicing.
- Cook Pinto beans in 600 ml of cold salted water until tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Mix remaining relish ingredients.
- Add to the beans and marinate for 2 hours.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients and whisking together.
- Arrange greens on plates. Thinly slice Bison on a diagonal and place slices in a fan shape next to greens. Drizzle dressing over Bison and greens. Divide bean relish equally on plates and serve. Garnish appropriately.