Roast Bison and Wild Mushroom
Alberta Bison Association: A Taste of Alberta 1997.
Quantity Ingredients Yield: 4 Portions
- 480 g 17 oz Bison shoulder clod
- (Medallions at 40 g each may be used instead) 250 ml 1 cup Bison demi-glaze
- 200 ml ¾ cup Pumpkin puree
- 125 ml ½ cup Red wine
- Salt and Pepper
- 500 g 18 oz. Assorted wild mushrooms
- 30 ml 2 tbsp. Fresh sage, chopped
- If using whole roast of Bison, roast Bison in oven at 300° F. until internal temp is 140° F.
- While Bison is roasting, prepare the following.
- Reduce the red wine by half in a pot.
- Add pumpkin puree (meat), Bison demi-glaze and sage.
- Simmer for ½ hour and season to taste.
- If using medallions, sear medallions of Bison in a hot pan being careful not to overcook. Medium-rare or medium is best.
- Lightly sauté wild mushrooms in a bit of butter.
- To serve, place either medallions or thin slices of roast Bison on top of pumpkin puree.
- Top Bison with sautéed mushrooms.
- A suggested accompaniment would be roasted maple glazed root vegetables and smashed potatoes.
Note: Quick Demi-glaze Thicken 1 can of Beef Consommé until it coats the back of a wooden spoon. You may use a roux to thicken the consommé by using 20 ml of butter and 15 ml of flour. Whisk in hot consommé into cooled roux and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until it is the proper thickness.