Poached Bison Appaloosa Salad
A Taste of Alberta 1997 - Alberta Bison Association
Dressing Ingredients, Yield: 4
- 30 ml 2 tbsp. Shallots, diced fine
- 1 stalk Green onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 30 ml 2 tbsp. Dill mustard
- 65 ml 4 tbsp. White wine vinegar
- 130 ml ½ cup Roasted garlic oil
- 15 ml 1 tbsp. Mint, chopped
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 160 g 5 oz. Bison inside
- 1 L 1 qt. Court bouillon
- 160 g 6 oz. Acorn squash
- 125 ml ½ cup Appaloosa or Pinto beans
- 1 stalk Green onion, chopped
- 1 small Carrot, medium diced
- 1 Tomato, seeded and medium chopped
- 4 portions Assorted baby greens
- 50 ml 3 tbsp. Blueberries (fresh, dried or frozen)
- Edible flowers (optional)
- Fresh basil (optional)
- To prepare dressing, combine all ingredients for dressing and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Poach Bison inside in the cold court bouillon. Once done set aside until later. Slice thinly for plating when necessary.
- Slice peeled Acorn squash into ¼ inch thick slices and blanch them. Cool and set aside for plating.
- Simmer pre-soaked beans until just tender. Drain and cool.
- Combine chilled beans, green onion, carrot, tomatoes and part of dressing. Season to taste.
- On chilled plates, arrange the sliced poached Bison on top of the baby greens. Complement with bean salad and some slices of the squash attractively arranged on the sides.
- Drizzle some dressing on the Bison and sprinkle with blueberries.
- Garnish with edible flowers and /or fresh basil if desired.